We needed storage for our new family room (playroom/home office) but didn’t want to go down the bright colours route plus I couldn’t afford the cost of a new carpet. And the bright colours from IKEA really wouldn’t go with my current color scheme!
IKEA items used:
- 2x IKEA TROFAST step units 100.914.53 and boxes
Other materials and tools:
- Paint brush
- 2 pillows
- Fabric of your choice (or pillow case if you’re not good at sewing!)
Note: Ignore steps 1 & 2 if putting fabric on all boxes
Instructions for the children’s storage boxes
1. Clean boxes with sugar soap to remove grease if not brand new.
2. Spray one layer of paint. Leave to dry as directed on spray paint. Spray inside. When dry, spray second coat.
3. For the plain white boxes that you want to fabric wrap; measure out a template using the interfacing, mark the position of the notches but don’t cut out these yet.
4. Iron your fabric first to remove all creases then iron the interfacing template onto the reverse of your fabric.
5. Cut fabric around the template. Place back on the box and trim the edges to make sure it is a perfect fit, you can now use this as template for all the other boxes.
6. When you have enough fabric pieces for your boxes, use sand paper on the box so that you have something for the glue to grip to.
7. Mix PVA glue with approx 5 parts glue to 1 part water.
8. Paint glue mixture on box surface, also paint glue mix lightly (not saturated or fabric will bubble) just so it is not completely dry or it will just fall off. Leave to dry.
Instructions for the seat
1. For seat you can either use a ready made pillow case or make your own to match your other fabric. I measured the fabric to twice the length of the pillow and added 10 inches minimum (sorry forgot to take pictures of this bit, I got a bit carried away with sewing!).
2. Hem the edges
3. Turn inside out and over lap the ends of the fabric, sew the two seems, turn correct way round and add the pillow. (Alternatively search how to make simple vision cover!)
4. For the cushions use exactly the same method but cut up the other pillow to the sizes you would like you cushions to be.
IKEA TROFAST children’s storage and seat
This picture of the children’s storage boxes and seat is a year on and has stood up well to wear and tear. I would suggest using a primer for the plastic, even though my spray paint said you didn’t need one the bits on on the runners have worn away slightly.
This hack took 3-4 days (depends on your spray paint and drying times) The fabric sections only took about an hour and half and can be done while the spray painted boxes are drying.
~ by Jennifer Louise
The post IKEA TROFAST children’s storage and seat to match colour scheme appeared first on IKEA Hackers.
This content was originally published here.