It’s time to dust off that juicer and bring it out from storage because there’s nothing quite as refreshing in the warm weather as a fresh, raw juice.
I created this recipe the other day on a bright and sunny afternoon. I knew exactly what I was going to make because it was sitting in my Organics Live food delivery box — a juice with grapefruit, cucumber and a couple more ingredients I had in my fridge. It was just what I and my sweet bambina needed 🙂
Both grapefruit and cucumber are extremely hydrating foods. In fact, grapefruit is about 90% water and cucumbers have a whopping 96% water! Take about a hydrating drink for your skin.
- Rich source of vitamin C which is a potent antioxidant that mops free radicals that can otherwise damage your heart and age your skin.
- Cucumber is an excellent source of silica, which is known to promote joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. It is also known as a beauty nutrient because it strengthens hair and nails, only if you juice the peel.
- Cucumbers are rich in vitamin A, B1, B6 & D, folate, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Also rich in vitamin C
- Rich in an antioxidant called lycopene which you may have heard of as it relates to tomato paste. Lycopene has the highest capacity to help fight oxygen free radicals, which are compounds that can damage cells. This can only be found in pink and red grapefruit NOT white.
- There are phytonutrients in grapefruit called limonoids that work magic by inhibiting tumor formation by promoting the formation of glutathione-S-transferase, a detoxifying enzyme.
The addition of the lime adds more vitamin C and hydration. And the hot chili pepper is an option. Foods that create heat in the body increase your metabolism and can help to fight infection too, especially if you’re coming down with a cold or flu.
I created a recipe video for you… here it is, and the full recipe is listed below.
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 or 2 limes
- Chunk of ginger
- Optional: Hot chili pepper
- 1 cup sparkling water
- Using a juice extractor, run your cucumber, grapefruit, ginger and lime through the juicer. Every juicer is different but mine yields about 1 cup fresh raw juice.
- To this I added some carbonated water to give it an effervescent taste.
Now you don’t have to add the sparkling (carbonated) water, you could just enjoy as is. Walker and I have soda stream at home that we use to make our filtered alkaline water bubbly. Once I became pregnant all I wanted was refreshing bubbly drinks. Since champagne was off the table (hehehe) making these types of refreshing drinks was and IS the next best thing!
I hope you enjoy this fresh, raw juice recipe.
Wishing you joyous health,
This content was originally published here.